Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Gelsomino


Monday morning around 5:30 I went for a walk around the hotel. It is a residential area of Rome, south-west of Vatican City. It is about a 35-40 minute walk to the walls of the Vatican.

A came back with some "gelsomino" - jasmine. Jasmine is a great smelling flower, but has some unique features. It blooms at night, and as the morning sun begins to hit the plant, the flower begins to die.

As a child it was my job to go out to pick the jasmine before the sun rose enough to hit that side of the house, that was before 8:00am. I would pick just the buds, put them in little dishes in different rooms, and the fresh smell will fill the air.

In my morning walk, I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I was to find the jasmine in my path. I did not notice much else. In the last two days, I have discovered a few other things that make Italian city life different than other places, in the USA specifically.

No comments:

Post a Comment